Philippine Society for Cosmetic Surgery, Inc.
Use this form to apply.
The fellowship training of the Philippine Society for Cosmetic Surgery, Inc. is a program established by experienced and dynamic teaching staff in cosmetic surgery from the Philippines combined with international guest faculties from different countries in Asia (i.e. South Korea). It fosters the development of a new generation of highly skilled, competent and compassionate “cosmetic surgeons”.
The training program is designed to equip trainees with basic knowledge, surgical skills and innovative techniques needed to become a good and safe cosmetic surgeon. It involves didactics and hands-on teaching methods emphasizing on the core of “less-invasive, bloodless, and simple with less-complication” cosmetic surgery techniques applicable to most common cases encountered in private practice.
To train surgeons to function independently as competent cosmetic surgeon by:
A. Ensuring that the trainees acquire the knowledge on the principles of sound cosmetic surgical practice.
B. Ensuring that the trainees develop the appropriate personal standards of integrity, compassion, and ethics to encourage the development of self directed life-long learning.
At the completion of training, the trainee will have acquired the following competencies:
A. The trainee must acquire extensive and organized knowledge of the principles and surgical techniques commonly performed in cosmetic surgery specifically to include competence in:
> Rhinoplasty using ePTFE (Goretex) implant
> Rhinoplasty using Silicon implant
> Rhinoplasty using Cartilage/bone graft
> Upper blepharoplasty
> Oriental blepharoplasty
> Lower blepharoplasty
> Temporal lift
> Mini/mid facelift
> MACS lift
> Meloplasty (neck surgery)
5. Malar/ cheek augmentation and fat transfer
> Nipple/Areolar reduction
> Correction of inverted nipple
> Augmentation mammoplasty (Implant and fat transfer)
> Reduction mammoplasty
> Augmentation (Implant and fat transfer)
11. Scar revision
12. Lip reduction /augmentation
13. Less invasive Cosmetic Surgery/Dermatological procedures
> Thread lifts (V-lifts)
B. Establishing good relationship with patients.
C. Obtain and synthesizing relevant history from the patient.
D. Delivering the highest quality care with integrity, honesty, and compassion.
REQUIREMENTS for Applicants:
A. The candidate must submit the following requirements:
1. CV with 2x2 colored picture
2. Letter of application
3. Two recommendation letters
4. Medical diploma
5. Medical Board Certificate
6. Certificate of surgical residency training
B. The candidate must fulfill the following requirements:
1. He/She must be a graduate of an approved college of medicine and duly licensed to practice medicine in their respective country.
2. He/she must be a graduate of accredited residency training program in:
a. General Surgery
b. Otolaryngology (ENT-HNS)
d. Obstetrics & Gynecology
e. Other Surgical Specialties
3. He/she must be physically and emotionally healthy, mature, responsible, and honest.
4. He/ She must show a keen interest in the field of cosmetic surgery.
5. He/She must express willingness to complete the two-year training program.
6. He/She must pass the interview and screening given by the training committee.
Basic Core Knowledge:
The Fellowship Training is a two-year program that allows the trainee to rotate with some of the Philippine Society for Cosmetic Surgery (PSCS) fellows who are accredited by the Philippine Board of Cosmetic Surgery (PBCS) as trainers. The PBCS is the only certifying body devoted to examining a surgeon's skill in cosmetic surgery of the face and body. It is an independent subspecialty board that examines and certifies physician’s competency in cosmetic surgery.
At the end of the program, each trainee should have completed at least 400-500 surgeries whether performed, assisted or observed.
1st YEAR OF THE PROGRAM:
1. Training is focused on the fundamental principles of Cosmetic Surgery.
a. History and screening of patients.
b. Basic photography
c. Principle of wound healing.
2. Trainees are expected to read standard recommended books and journals. Further, he is expected to have a reasonable working knowledge of the anatomy and the operative procedures that is scheduled by the trainers.
3. Must attend monthly meetings of the PSCS and be presenters in some of the scientific portions of the meeting.
4. Must attend and present papers in the yearly annual scientific meetings sponsored by the ACSI.
1st month - 3rd month:
First assistant and removal of stitches
4th month – 6th month:
Graduated responsibility like prepping of patient for surgery, placement of appropriate drawings and skin markings, instituting local anesthesia etc.
7th month – 9th month:
Suturing and dressing
10th month - 12th month:
Dissection, Suturing, etc.
2nd YEAR OF THE PROGRAM:
1. The trainee will continue to do all the functions as in his/her first year but on a wider scale, this time with more responsibilities towards patient care.
2. Training on decision-making regarding procedure and/or techniques best suited for each patient.
3. Training on decision-making regarding treatments of choice for the different complications one sees in private practice.
4. May operate only under supervision on their own patients or on charity patients
GENERAL TASK/PERFORMANCE GOAL
1. Information Gathering
a. History and Cardiopulmonary clearance of the patient
b. Laboratory information
2. Analysis of the and body including photography
1. Planning the surgical operation
2. Preparation for surgical operation
1. Performing surgery
2. Needs to modify operative plans
1. Post-operative monitoring
2. Post-operative care
3. Post operative medication
4. After surgery follow-up
4. Early recognition and handling of complications
a. Recognition for intermediate intervention
b. Surgical progress monitoring
Educational conferences :
1. Monthly scientific meeting of the Philippine Society for Cosmetic Surgery (PSCS) held every 2nd Mondays of the month.
2. Monthly grand rounds, conferences/lecture. The case to be discussed is assigned by the trainer.
1. Trainees are expected to attend the annual conventions of the Philippine Society for Cosmetic Surgery (PSCS) and the Philippine Medical Association (PMA).
2. It is also encouraged that the trainees attend international & local bodies where the PSCS is affiliated:
a. Korean College of Cosmetic Surgery (KCCS)
b. International Academy of Cosmetic Surgery (IACS)
c. Asia Pacific Academy of Cosmetic Surgery (APACS)
d. American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery (AACS)
e. Philippine Society for Liposuction Surgery (PSLS)